Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday Tidbits 15: Linguistics


1
DD: Mum, I'm only going to call you Mum from now on. I don't want to say Mummy anymore.
Me: Ok.
(Five minutes later)
DD: Mummy, I'm hungry. Mummy, can you play with me? Mummy, I love you.



2
In Hebrew some feminine words are formed by adding 'a' to the end of the masculine words. E.g. nessikh is prince and nessikha is princess. The adjectives also change so a good prince is a nessikh tov and a good princess is a nessikha tova.
DD (seeing a male ballet dancer): There's a dance.
Me: You mean a dancer.
DD: No! He's not a girl he's a boy! Can't you see he's a boy?

3
On the swings
DD: Mummy, at yokhola l'push li?



10 comments:

  1. a joyful combination of kiddisms and linguistics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm fascinated by how she applies grammar rules willy nilly across two languages.

      Delete
  2. The "l'push" one is soooo adorable. And I remember when my older brother told me he was going to call our mother "Mom" and not "Mommy" anymore, and that I should do the same. I mostly obeyed. (My English mother still refers to herself as Mum, in complete denial that my brother and I are total Americans).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few weeks once when she called me Mama - I like that in a warm fuzzy sort of way although it would probably have sounded a bit precious if she'd continued it too long.

      Delete
  3. It's so great you are recording all these tidbits. I always said I'd remember the funny/adorable/embarrassing things my children said, but I've forgotten most of them. I love her Heblish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I say I'll remember something to include in Tidbits and I've forgotten it by the next Tuesday. And btw, I have pretty good Heblish myself. In fact I would say it was my second language after English and before Hebrew. :)

      Delete
  4. Loved the first one, exactly the sort of thing Little A would say :o). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying it on to see how it fits. I guess it was a bit too big still. :)

      Delete
  5. my daughter said the same thing about a male "teach" and a female "teacha"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A firen'd daughter used to call me Racha ad she was called Dana and she had a boy in her gan called Dan. I love these associations.

      Delete