Thursday, July 27, 2017

Walking Out Of The Wood

My Dad used to like a riddle that went: How far can a bear walk into a wood? The answer was: Halfway. (Because after that he'd be walking out of the wood.) I feel a bit like that about the summer holidays.

I've been announcing the beginning of the summer holidays for weeks if not months already. There was the week my 6th graders finished school early every day so my timetable was suddenly cut by a third. Then there was the final college lesson which meant no more teaching on Tuesdays. Then my school finished. Then a day later DD's school finished. But she had three weeks of summer school in the mornings only and I had my summer course and meetings with students from last year who were finishing off assignments. Then DD's summer school finished but I still had another 10 days of meetings in college. And actually I still have one more day of meetings on Sunday - and then it really is the summer holiday. Really really really.

Such a lot of activity before the real holiday starts and by then it's half way through.

All work and no play
This week DD has been coming into college with me. I commandeered one of the small computer rooms off the library and she has sat with earphones on, playing on a computer while I work. Same as last year.

It's not been all work though, well for me it has but DD has had some after college activities - a birthday party, the outside movie, and swimming. (Three things is enough isn't it?) The weather is excessively hot - in the 30s every day.

People keep asking if we are enjoying the holiday - what holiday? I've been in college at 8.30 a.m. almost every day this month. And on Tuesday it's August 1st and we begin walking out of the wood. How did that even happen?



5 comments:

  1. Love that riddle, and I hope you find a cool way to enjoy the hots days ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll just stay inside until the evening. What we should do is go out in the morning as well. Another two friends have also told me they feel cheated that it's the holidays but they feel trapped in their homes because of the heat. And we don't have big houses like in bigger countries - we're in small apartments. At least in Jerusalem it gets cool in the evenings and over night whereas other areas are hot and humid 24/7.

      Delete
    2. I mean go our in the very early morning.

      Delete
  2. Time does go far too fast but you just have to try and drink every moment in and enjoy them all. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think it was the heat that was irritating me.

      Delete